Re: Firefox 4.01 in Kubuntu 11.04: no ¨dead¨ keys, no compose key.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Thu May 19 11:34:37 UTC 2011

Hello everybody

Thanks for the input that has come in so far in this thread:

>> Recently some strange problem popped up in Firefox 4.01 inside Kubuntu
>> 11.04: ¨dead keys¨  as well as the ¨ compose key¨ do not function any more
>> in that specific application. .........

With respect to this feedback:
> I just opened FF 4.0.1 and in the Google entry space typed Straße, and it
> came out with the ess-tset just as I typed,
> using the key I have mapped to compose.  This is in PCLos, kde 4.6.2.  I
> don't have FF 4.01.  AFAIK, my FF is up to date.

A few minutes ago, I carried out your ¨Straße¨ test in a few
applications. It DOES work in LibreOffice, Kontact and even in e.g.
Konsole. However, it does NOT work in Firefox. So, I am wondering what
difference there is between your and my configuration. My
configuration: Kubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwal) along with KDE 4.6.2 and
Firefox 4.01, which is the latest update from the regular repository.
My PC is a netbook: Eee PC 1001 HA. Main specs: 250 GB HD, 1 GB DDR2
SDRAM, cache 512 MB L2 cache, processor 1,66 GhZ.

> I've had a related problem ever since KDE 4.6.2, and it continues in
> 4.6.3, which came along with Kubuntu 11.04. No right-click in Firefox!
> FF 4.0 didn't fix it, and neither did the recent update to 4.0.1.

This is weird. In my case, right-click in Firefox 4.01 DOES work. A
context menu pops up, with i.a. a language spell check language
selector. Also the distro and and KDE version I am using are the same:
Kubuntu 11.04 along with KDE 4.6.2.

However it may be, I still did not find any workaround enabling me to
instruct Firefox to follow the same keyboard lay out and compose key
settings as elsewhere in the system.

Respectfully yours,
Bas.

--