Re: Firefox 4.01 in Kubuntu 11.04: no ¨dead¨ keys, no compose key.

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Thu May 19 09:40:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Bas Roufs <basroufs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everybody
>
> Recently some strange problem popped up in Firefox 4.01 inside Kubuntu
> 11.04: ¨dead keys¨  as well as the ¨ compose key¨ do not function any more
> in that specific application. As far as I can see, everything works well in
> ALL other applications, where I do get characters like é,à  and â in a
> correct way: by typing e.g. ´ and than a. But, as I said, ¨dead¨  keys like
> ´, ¨, etc. do not function any more correctly inside one single, but often
> used application: Firefox. The same applies for characters produced by the
> so-called compose key: e.g. compose-s-s which produces ß. This happens still
> really everywhere at my 11.04 system, except inside Firefox 4.01.
> Does anybody know any way to instruct Firefox to use the same keyboard
> lay-out as in all other applications?
>
> Respectfully yours,
>
> Bas.

I've had a related problem ever since KDE 4.6.2, and it continues in
4.6.3, which came along with Kubuntu 11.04. No right-click in Firefox!
FF 4.0 didn't fix it, and neither did the recent update to 4.0.1.

I googled for awhile, and tried the fix I found on the web, which is
go to the advanced javascript settings, and uncheck "Disable or
replace context menus." No change. This makes FF almost unusable.

Valorie

--
http://linuxgrandma.blogspot.com
Last.fm, Facebook, Twitter, Identica, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez