Updating from 8.04 LTS -- incrementally or jump or not at all?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat May 14 21:03:10 UTC 2011

h.stencil at verizon.net wrote:
> One older machine on my home net has been running flawlwssly
> for years, using the KDE3.5 desktop and Kubuntu 8.04.  I
> gather that KDE4 has pretty much got past its teething
> problems, and I'd like to bring this box up to date.
>
> Should I...
>
> -incrementally update, issue by issue?

Only if you want to spend a lot of time.

> -incrementally update, using only LTS issues?

Using only LTS issues? Kubuntu 8.04 wasn't LTS and IIRC, there was no
direct path from 8.04 to 10.04 for Kubuntu (someone please correct me if
I'm wrong). If you want to use 10.04, I would suggest to do a fresh
install where you keep your home directory. You can achieve this if you
select manual partitioning. Use the current file system and don't format
the / partition. But make sure to have a backup first and check the
release notes [1].

> -jump update, directly to 11.04?

If you want to use 11.04, this would be the quickest option. But I would
suggest a fresh install where you keep your home directory (see above).
Again, make sure to have a backup first and check the release notes [2].

> -leave it the hell alone?

IMHO it isn't useful to run an unsupported OS.

Nils

[1] <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes>
[2] <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/ReleaseNotes>