Panel Woes Solved

Bill vance faptagon at gmail.com
Thu May 12 08:41:30 UTC 2011

> Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 10:58:12 -0500
> From: Monty Shinn <montys at videopost.com>
> To: Kubuntu user technical support <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: Panel Woes Solved
>
> On 05/11/2011 10:39 AM, Bill vance wrote:
>> Howdy again folks;
>>
>> I found a solution that you might want to implement for insurance.
>>
>> I have a multi user setup, but the users are all email aliases for the
>> various lists
>> I'm subbscribed to.  That's also my reason for wanting to be root, (ease
>> of
>> switching from one to another).  I virtuially never log on as one of
>> these, as doing so is a cumbersome, and time wasting procedure.
>>
>> Anyway the way I solved my disapearing kde setup, was to log on as one of
>> my
>> aliases, and lo, there it was a pristine setup.  So I used the
>> reviled, "sudo", to
>> copy the, ".kde", directory and a few other things over to my usual
>> /home/self,
>> and the rest was a relatively simple matter of, "chown self
>> /home/self/.kde/*", and,"chgrp self /home/self/.kde/*".  You'll need
>> to do that for each, "/*", step
>> out to around ,"/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*", just stop when you get a, "no such file
>> or
>> directory", error, and then log back in as yourself, and you're, "home",
>> free.
>>
>> So, the cure then is to create a bogus user, (if you don't have sonething
>> you
>> can allready use as one), do all your usual system setups for the bogus
>> one,
>> and you're done.   One each, emergency backup for your kde system.
>>
>> Later, bye;
>>
>> Bill
>>

> Perhaps a better option would be to use the chown -R and chgrp -R to do
> all the changes recursively, if I am understanding what you are doing.
>
> I appreciate the info.  I think I'm going to make a copy of my .kde
> directory for safe keeping...
>
> Monty

Thanks for the tip.  Chalk it up to program creep;  Allways new options being
added since the last time you read the man page.....:-)

About the copy though, making an occaisional backup of the,
"cp -R /home/self/* /home/bogus", variety, is simpler than a formal
backup, and quicker to access as well.  Good to do both sorts of
course.

Bill