dolphin not show content of folder when opened as ordinary user in ubuntu 11.04

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri May 6 20:11:56 UTC 2011

user1 wrote:
> When I open dolphin as ordinary user I do not see the content of the
> folder and I get following message:
>
> ****The name org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any .service files
>
> When I open dolphin as su dolphin does show content of folder and I
> do not get above message?

I'm not sure, but to me it looks like some file in your home directory
is owned by root. If this is correct, you can correct the issue with the
command

sudo chown -R $USER: $HOME

in a terminal (konsole). That should make you owner again of all files
in your home directory and any subdirectories.

Such a problem might be caused by commands like the one you mentioned
above (su dolphin). For GUI programs you should use the command kdesudo
instead of sudo or su, i.e. in your example it would be "kdesudo
dolphin". Otherwise the ownership of some files in your home directory
may change from your own login to root.

Nils