Menu bars all gone!

Waleed Hamra kubuntu-users at whamra.com
Thu May 5 03:02:39 UTC 2011

On 05/03/2011 11:04 PM, Kevin O'Brien wrote:
> I am having a very annoying problem. None of my applications display
> window bars any longer on my Kubuntu 64-bit Natty installation. The
> problem first showed up on a couple of applications about a month ago,
> and I hoped the upgrade to Natty would fix it. Instead the upgrade
> seems to have spread the problem to all application windows. Any idea
> how to fix this?
>
> Thank you,

menu bars are drawn by kwin. if you're using compiz or any such eye
candy software, it's that program the culprit.
so for a start, are you using compiz or any other window manager?
does this happen with effects enabled and disabled? or just with one?
what's your graphic card, and are you sure it's installed properly?
there are many reasons why would kwin crash, it's not unheard of, but
all the time is a problem.

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems