change desktop

Errol Sapir errol at tzora.co.il
Mon May 2 22:18:12 UTC 2011

On 05/02/2011 07:09 PM, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> On 05/02/2011 01:43 AM, Errol Sapir wrote:

>>> I was looking for something else and chanced upon this.
>>> System Settings -> Workspace -> Workspace Type: Desktop or Netbook.
>>> I did not try it as I am happy with my desktop, however, you might
>>> find something useful in it.
>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>
>> Tom thanks for the answer.
>> I did manage to change the appereance of my desktop applying your
>> suggestion BUT the "grey " area
>> as shown in the second photo at: http://www.kde.org/workspaces/ still
>> shows. What is it and how
>> do I get rid of it?
>> Errol
>>

> If you go to this page:
> http://www.kde.org/workspaces/plasmanetbook/
>
> And read some of the information it seems like the gray bar that you
> are referring to is the 'shortcut bar'.
>
> Nigel

Nigel
I'm sure you're correct but 1. I don't see how to "use" it. I can't add
widgets to it nor remove the 4 that are there. and 2. I can't see the
difference between using this "shortcut bar" and having my widget or
prgram on the panel. Seems to be too  many features giving the same
option. I do see how to get rid of the whole "shortcut bar, That is by
right click on desktop -> configure search and launch -> and in view ->
layout choose  desktop instead of "search and launch". My questions
above are now asked to enable me to understand how I could be using
these featuresif I chose to. Basically Tom nad Nigel you pointed me in
the direction to get my desktop how I wanted it i.e. without panel at
the top and with a "standard" desktop. Thanks.
It would be informative though if sombody could provide the answers to
"controling" the  shortcut bar.
Always learning!
Errol