Filtering messages that belong to mailing lists

Mario Andes multilingus at gmx.de
Tue Mar 22 09:57:17 UTC 2011

Hi J.L.,

sure I can do it by hand. But TB is perhaps the best mail client.
Shoudn't it be natural that mailing list are included?
Therefore I'm looking for the TB mechanism to handle mailing lists.
If TB can handle it it would be even faster ?!

Thank You
Mario

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 02:02:22 +0100, J. L. <jl.ffm at gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 22.03.2011 01:00 schrieb Mario Andes:
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> my problem is to make a mailing list filter.
>> For example this list. Of course I can create a filter for
>> "kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com".
>> More elegant would be to  automatically create the filter
>> and the folder if a message of an new mailing list is received where
>> you have been registered so that further messages of this list are
>> recognized as messd age of that list.
>> The header of messages of that mailing list contain the mailing list ID
>> which
>> classifies the message as a mailing list message.
>> Filter and folder have to be created AUTOMATICALLY!
>> How can I do that?
>> Mario
>
> Hi Mario!
>
> Really not my problem but how many mailing lists are You subscribed to
> or are You planning to being subscribed to?
>
> And do You really think to spend hours (and perhaps even more hours
> ...?) with this automation question seems to be more "time-efficient"
> than to create the filters by hand for each new mailing-list by hand
> _in_just_a_few_seconds?
>
> Really not my problem but perhaps Yours ...? ;-)
>
> Good luck!
>
> J. L.
>
>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:58:51 +0100, Brian Wootton
>> <Brian.Meg at btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> The short answer is go to 'thunderbird>tools>message filters>new' and
>>> fill
>>> out the boxes, you will need to make a mail folder first of course so
>>> that you
>>> can tell your filter where you want your filtered messages to be
>>> routed to. You
>>> can do this by right clicking on 'Local Folders' say, and filling in
>>> the box. I have
>>> a dozen or so mail folders all fed by filters so that I can see
>>> immediately what
>>> new mail I have from various friends, various mailing lists like
>>> kubuntu, amazon,
>>> finance houses, tech mags, etc. If you want a more detailed
>>> 'blow-by-blow' by all
>>> means tell me.
>>> brian

Version 11.00 Build 1156 Platform Linux System x86_64, 2.6.35-24-generic