Manual checkdisc for Kubuntu HDD

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 16:48:10 UTC 2011

2011/3/18 O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com>:
> On 18/03/2011 08:14, Nils Kassube wrote:
>>
>> ray burke wrote:
>>>
>>> I cant wait for the system to apply a checkdisc when booting up, I
>>> want to manually start one, as when I clonned
>>> over it suggested I do one?
>>
>> You can use the command
>>
>> sudo touch /forcefsck
>>
>> in a terminal. Then the system will check the disks at the next boot.
>>
> Interesting - mine never seems to check the /home partition, is there way to
> force that as well?

You can use tune2fs to change the max-mount-counts and mount-count
values in a ext2/3/4 filesystem. You can use the -C switch to force a
check at next boot.
>From the manual:
-C mount-count
              Set  the  number  of  times  the  filesystem has been
mounted.  If set to a greater value than the max-mount-counts
parameter set by the -c option, e2fsck(8) will check the filesystem at
the next reboot.

/ Jonas