Setting grub on cd

GeraldCC gcsgcatling at bigpond.com
Thu Mar 17 04:46:51 UTC 2011

On Thursday, March 17, 2011 01:18:31 PM Goh Lip wrote:
> On 03/17/2011 04:41 AM, uriah heep wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Goh Lip <g.lip at gmx.com
> >
> > <mailto:g.lip at gmx.com>> wrote:
> >     On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 19:15:12 +0800, uriah heep <stan10x10 at gmail.com
> >
> >     <mailto:stan10x10 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >         I have to have a dual boot system because some programs I need
> >         do not have
> >         equivalent Linux programs or will not export in a format that
> >         windows users
> >         can use. But when ever windows screws up my Linux install is
> >         also screwed.
> >         Could some one kindly point me to simple documentation to
> >         install grub to a
> >         CD in a manner so I can keep the OSes from disabling each other?
> >
> >     Uriah, to make a simple cd grub boot, just
> >     grub-mkrescue --output=anything.iso
> >     where anything.siso can be any thing you name.
> >
> >     However if you want to include a grub.cfg file then
> >     grub-mkrescue --output=grubo.iso /media/LABEL/boot/grub/grub.cfg
> >
> >     where /media/LABEL is the partition where you want the right
> >     grub.cfg you want copied over.
> >     But remember if you boot up from that cd, do a "configfile
> >     /grub.cfg" so that the grub menu appears at the grub prompt.
> >
> >     Just got back from a short new year (my new year, not yours)
> >     holidays, but if you need more info, please let us know.
> >
> >     Regards - Goh Lip
> >
> >     --
> >     I used to have an open mind,
> >     but my brains kept falling out.
> >

> >     --
> >
> > Just got back to this as I am setting up a laptop to be dual boot. with
> > windows 7 installed and installing Kubuntu I would get an option of
> > where to install grub. is this where I can do the above or do I use my
> > desktop which has usual dual boot to go into Kubuntu and issue commands
> > at command line and then how do I burn to cd?
>
> Uriah, to have another option where to install grub, and after
> installation of OS is done, "dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc" and follow
> instructions. At installation of OS itself  -  when you manually select
> partition where to install OS to, there is an 'advanced' button - and
> you can select where grub is to be set.
>
> Note however, if you select /dev/sdaX instead of just /dev/sda, you may
> be unable to boot up to Kubuntu OS unless you have other means, like a
> bootcd, or another boot process from another installed OS etc; so be
> very careful if you do this.
>
> To burn to grub bootcd, as per my previous post,
> grub-mkrescue --output=anything.iso
> grub-mkrescue --output=grubo.iso /media/LABEL/boot/grub/grub.cfg
>

> Considering what you're trying to do, suggest you just make a plain grub
> boot cd first from your desktop, just to boot up your new kubuntu
> installation at your laptop. Then when your laptop is installed (with
> grub set to /dev/sdaX), then boot to laptop Kubuntu and make another
> grub boot cd with grub.cfg from that new installation.
>
> We can of course, just make one straight from the desktop, but I think
> [...]
Hi,
I find that a modern (less than 6 month old) usb memory stick is the best way
to do it.
1...Plug in the memory stick
2...reboot with the installation disk in.
3...install setting the /boot partition to the memory stick the rest con go
onto the hard disk.
I use this method to boot PCLinuxOS on a laptop that has 64 bit Win7.
Unplug the memory stick and Windows boots, with the memory stick in you Linux
system will boot.
Gerald