Shutdown pauses when others are connected

Homer fsunoles at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 21:36:48 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 5:39 AM, Clay Weber <claydoh at claydoh.com> wrote:
> On Monday, February 28, 2011 12:40:13 AM Michael Hirsch wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh at bmarsh.com>
> wrote:
>> >
>> > Fine, then tell the developers that you need your own version of a
>> > single-user linux.   I think you are picking at nits.
>>
>> No, he's not.  When a user has a desired behavior to tell that that
>> they are wrong is counterproductive.  Just because Linux may be
>> potentially multiuser, doesn't mean it is for everyone.  My wife's
>> computer is single user, my kids computers are single user.  Even my
>> computer is single user, most of the time.
>>
>> When I tell my computer to shutdown (usually by hitting CTRL-ATL-DEL
>> in KDE then hitting return, that is what I expect it to do.  I don't
>> like coming back to it the next evening and discovering that it didn't
>> shut down because a) I had lagged in remotely from work, or b) I
>> logged in on a VC.
>>
>> Apparently some people would like the computer to stay on forever in
>> that circumstance.  That is fine with me.  But I know a fairly large
>> number of people who would like to set an option to have the machine
>> shut down when it is told to.
>>
>> This is a pretty common complaint, and I have yet to see an answer to it.
>>
> Haven't followed this one all the way, but has anyone looked at the options in
> /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc? There are a *lot* of well-commented options in
> there........

I just scanned that file and nothing jumped out at me, though I won't
claim 100% understanding of all the settings.  The shutdown section
only has these three:

[Shutdown]
BootManager=None
HaltCmd=/sbin/halt
RebootCmd=/sbin/reboot

On further consideration...  I see both halt and reboot have a --force
option.  I'll try -f when I get some time and report back.