dcop dies between every session

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 13:20:56 UTC 2011

On 07/03/2011 14:25, Clay Weber wrote:
> On Monday, March 07, 2011 06:20:13 AM O. Sinclair wrote:
>> Running Kubuntu 10.10 with all updates to KDE 4.6.1
>>
>> Since some time (I dont know when, discovered this by a fluke) dcop
>> server is not starting automatically. After startup I go to a console
>> line and type
>> dcop
>> and get:
>> DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
>> DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
>> ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!
>>
>> I then run
>> /usr/bin/kdeinit
>> and get:
>> kbuildsycoca running...
>> DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
>>
>> If I after that run
>> dcop
>> I get:
>> kded
>> klauncher
>>
>> anyone recognise this and have an idea what is wrong and what I could do?
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Sinclair
>
> dcop has been replaced with dbus in KDE 4. it still will exist on kde4 systems
> that have any kde3 apps running as it is included in the kdelibs4c2a pacakge.
> It could be that it is not fully complete, something else is missing perhaps.
>
> What exactly do you need dcop to do?

I have come to understand that it has been "replaced" but do not quite
get why, once started, kded and klauncher is attached to it.

I was looking for a way to logout of KDE from command line as the logout
function has gone wacko on my new laptop... in short it does not work.
Shutdown and reboot works (almost always) logout does not. And found a
command via google that use dcop to log out - incorrect or not I don't know