cant login

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Mar 6 17:15:50 UTC 2011

rajubhai ramvani wrote:
>         i upgrade os from 9.04 to 9.10  on internet..but now i cant
> log in in my pc .when i start my pc then login page coming and
> username already exist and password i enter (previous) .but i cant
> login.so please help me.

Can you explain a bit more what happens after entering the login
password? Does the machine complain about a wrong password or does it
start to login but then returns to the login screen? In the first case I
would suggest to change the password from the command line [1] to
something different and if you can then login, change it back to what
you want it to be.

However if the login screen simply returns without complaining about a
wrong password, I would expect that the update went wrong for some
reason. Then I would suggest that you select the rescue mode from the
boot prompt and select the root shell option. Then issue these commands:

dpkg --configure -a
apt-get install -f

If that doesn't help, please let us know about the result of the
commands and possible error messages.

Nils

[1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword>