install Kontact 4.6 in Natty

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 08:40:34 UTC 2011

Having just installed this and starting to sort of come to grips with I
thought I could share some (so far rather few) experiences:

For starters this is Kubuntu 11.04 with all updates. I did a full backup
of all data + a fresh system iso before I upgraded.

1. Migration went "so-so". After startup most mailfolders were seen to
be empty. After receiving an email in a folder all mail in said folder
showed up. I used a "dummy mail" to copy into each folder and voila,
mail back. Note I only use pop3, no IMAP or DIMAP

2. It was at first painfully slow. After having found in Kmail Settings
that I had hundreds of repeated "mail tags" and removed the bulk of them
(THAT was boring) to a few valid tags speed increased to "old KMail". I
had these in KAdressbook before and tried to remove them with no luck.
Now they are gone there as well, phew. But to press "remove" button one
by one tag...

3. To-Do and some other stuff (Kontact) did not show up until I set
default resource

4. The problem of KMail (or if this is a Kubuntu problem) not signalling
a failed pop retrieval still exist. I have an old, no more used account,
to test this and KMail still says nothing on trying to retrieve from
this account

All in all, after fixing the empty folders and the hundreds of tags
(whereever they originated) it seems to do the job just as good or bad
as KMail "old".

Kind regards
Sinclair