Optical drive wont eject

Thomas Olsen tanghus at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 22:20:20 UTC 2011

On Friday 10 June 2011 23:45:33 Waleed Hamra wrote:
> one main reason for linux to refuse ejecting is that the CD is locked.
> this can happen if the CD is mounted for one instance. is it mounted? if
> so, unmount it first. usually, if you're mounting CDs using the "device
> notifier", things are automatic, and unmounting happens automagically.

These are my mounts, nothing about the optical drive:
/dev/sda5 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sda6 on /home type ext4 (rw,commit=0)
/dev/sdb1 on /data type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_permissions)
/dev/sda2 on /windows type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_permissions)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

> but in your case, i'm seeing something else. sr0 refers to the device of
> the optical drive, and it has several buffer errors and read errors. i
> am guessing the physical media is damaged in the drive. can you try and
> remove the CD from the tray, close the tray, and try ejecting it while
> empty from the button, and see if it works. if it does, then the problem
> was the kernel has locked the CD as it was still trying to identify it
> or something. try verifying again by suing another disc that you're sure
> is clean and undamaged.

It's locked both with and without a CD in the drive and it reads both audio and data CDs just fine.
The odd thing is that this has now happened on two totally different PCs.

> hope this helps

Thanks for the efford but not really.
Do you think I should file a bug report under linux-image?

--
Best regards / med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Dropbox and my thumb drive had an epic battle. Dropbox won. http://db.tt/T0p6d6L