how can I change display resolution permanently?

Jarry mr.jarry at
Fri Jul 29 17:41:42 UTC 2011

this must be some stupid mistake I'm doing, but I can not
change screen resolution permanently and I do not know why.

I opened "System Settings" -> "Display and Monitor" ->
"Size & Orientation", under "Size" I picked up "1280x960",
then "Apply" and "Accept configuration" to get screen
resolution I whish. Then "Save as Default" and finally I get
message "Configuration has been set as the desktop default".

But whenever I restart kubuntu, my desktop has again just
1024x768. WHY?