Kontact 2 / kdepim 4.6 still experimental?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 12:40:23 UTC 2011

On 13/07/2011 14:06, Matthias Philipp wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that KDE released a new version of the Kontact suite together
> with KDE 4.6.4.
> While the new KDE packages are available in the Kubuntu Updates PPA, I
> found the Kontact packages to be still in the Experimental PPA.
>
> Has anybody an idea why Kontact 2 / kdepim 4.6 is still experimental?
> Will it be moved to the Updates PPA in the foreseeable future?
> Do you have any experiences with with it i.e. is it usable yet?

Having done the upgrade and been at x number of forums and mailinglists
it is clear to me that it is a sort of "kde 4.0" version. In other words
go for it if you have time for nuisances and potential problems and
bugs, not otherwise. Wait and see if it comes in SC 4.7 or when Kubuntu
moves it to "backports" ppa.

As I understand only Arch moved it to main repos and the users are all
but happy - many of them at least.

For me it works but I do have:
frequent "hangs" do to something called "conflict resolutions"
erraticly working spamfilters
a trash folder that can only be emptied manually
a search function that only works for subject lines

otherwise it works reasonably well - for me. But others have far worse
problems.

Kind regards
Sinclair