Permissions problems are being a huge PIMA

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Jan 31 21:40:50 UTC 2011

On Monday, January 31, 2011 04:18:06 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:

> Am Montag 31 Januar 2011, um 19:39:28 schrieb gene heskett:
> > On Monday, January 31, 2011 01:05:15 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:
> <snip problem description>
>
> > > from man mount.cifs:
> > > uid=arg
> > >
> > >   sets the uid that will own all files or directories on the
> > >   mounted filesystem when the server does not provide ownership
> > >   information. It may be specified as either a username or a numeric
> > >   uid. When not specified, the default is uid 0. The mount.cifs
> > >   helper must be at version 1.10 or higher to support specifying
> > >   the uid in non-numeric form. See the section on FILE AND
> > >   DIRECTORY OWNERSHIP AND PERMISSIONS below for more information.
> > >
> > >    forceuid
> > >
> > >        instructs the client to ignore any uid provided by the server
> > >        for files and directories and to always assign the owner to
> > >        be the value of the uid= option. See the section on FILE AND
> > >        DIRECTORY OWNERSHIP AND PERMISSIONS below for more
> > >        information.
> >
> > My machine didn't have this mount.cifs file,
>
> Depending on the install it might be contained in man mount (search for
> the cifs section).

Not having seen them merged like that before,

Mount options for cifs
       See the options section of the mount.cifs(8) man page (samba-client
package must be installed).

Seems to be the only reference in my copy.

> > so I stole it from another
> > defunct install, then following these instructions, I did an umount
> > and a remount as root like this:
> >
> > mount -t cifs -o
> > user=gene,passwd=XXXXXXX,uid=1000,forceuid,gid=1000,forcegid
> > //shop.coyote.den/shop-slash /mnt/shop
>
> Assuming (from the path below) that that refers to the root directory on
> the server machine, this is really dangerous as every single directory
> is now writable to your gene user (probably, anyway). Does the method
> Tom H posted not work for you? (I didn't know this was possible in
> samba):

The actual mount command in my rc.local file has that wrapped in an su -
gene -c "mount etc" so theoretically the whole mount is mine, not roots.
I know I can't write just any old place, its been tried by accident.

> Am Montag 31 Januar 2011, um 17:51:24 schrieb Tom H:
> > If you're using samba, you can use the "username map" smb.conf option
> > with /path/to/file/users.map.
> >
> > Which did not throw an error, but I still can't save that email to the
> > kubuntu box.  Something about a repeating .mbox problem this time.
> > copy/paste from the error window:
> >
> > Could not write to /mnt/shop/home/gene/emc2/nc_files/gcode/[Emc-users]
> > Repeating Code.mbox.part

Looking at that again, that [Emc-users].part, maybe the [] aren't legal
filenames?  However, a retry w/o the [Emc-users] didn't effect it, still
'access denied'

I guess I'll have to copy/paste it between 2 copies of vim.  And that
worked.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)