Update Locks Package Handling

Waleed Hamra kubuntu-users at whamra.com
Wed Jan 19 17:36:00 UTC 2011

On 01/19/2011 07:29 PM, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 01/19/2011 10:57 AM, Tom Bell wrote:

>>> Still trying to figure out what's going on.
>>>
>>> Is there a command that tells you what process is running in the
>>> background?
>>>
>>> How do you kill a process running in the background?
>>>
>>> I'm sure it's been posted a bunch of times but I've never needed to
>>> know till now. And, I have no idea what to search for in the archive.
>>>
>>> The reason I ask is because doing a "kdesudo dolphin" command to
>>> bring up Dolphin in admin mode and removing either apt/lock or
>>> dpkg/lock does no good because they just pop right back. This makes
>>> me wonder if dpkg is still running but never completing it's
>>> business, so to speak. When  you try to remove the lock it reinstates
>>> it immediately.
>>>
>>> I tried the "dpkg --configure -a" command again and just left it sit
>>> for about twenty-four hours and it was still hung on grub configure.
>>> I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with some part of
>>> grub install that dpkg can't resolve.
>>>
>> ps -A
>> at the command prompt will list all processes running.
>> Then you can use:
>> kill -15 "process number"
>> to stop the offending process from running.  Remember that "process
>> number"
>> is a number without the quote marks and it will be listed beside the
>> offending process when you run "ps".
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Tom
>>

> Thank you. I didn't see anything that didn't look like it should be
> running. I'm far from any sort of expert but I didn't see anything like
> a package handler running. Well, it was an idea.

htop might be easier. as long as you *can* install something :\
you can see the processes in a tree, branching from one another, then
you can look for apt-get, and follow its tree to find the process
hanging on grub, and kill it from within htop.

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems