Update Locks Package Handling

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Wed Jan 12 03:41:13 UTC 2011

An update a few weeks ago now has my system locked from doing any form
of software install or update. I'm not sure how to explain this to well.

When I try to run synaptic I get a message that it can't access the data
base because something else is already running. It tells me to run dpkge
configure but that hangs after a couple seconds at configure grub and
never finishes. I'm just about to the old Windows standby, Fdisk -
Format - Install.

The system boots up and runs pretty much normal most of the time.
Sometimes when it boots up the Nvidia drives won't load properly but if
I boot it a couple times it generally will work

ANY ideas are gratefully accepted.

10.04-64
AMD quad core
4gigs