Stuck at the login screen (Jonas Norlander)

Brian Wootton Brian.Meg at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 11 11:09:26 UTC 2011

On 10/01/11 23:23, kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> gave up!!
>
> Hope the above makes sense.
> The reason I wanted to go into single user mode was because I have been
> having the odd flaky boot once or twice a week, the symptoms being
> very like a hard drive with a dodgy block in the boot area and I wanted
> to do an fsck with various flags to see if anything came up.
>  I was bone idle when I installed Lucid and just had the one giant
> partition
> shan't do that with Maverick.
> I've got 'https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KeyboardShortcuts' but it
> doesn't mention the CNTRL-ALT-Fx functions at all, do you know where I
> can
> find them please.
>  Thank you very much for your help and advice but don't spend a lot of
> time
> on this as I'm going install Maverick shortly - maybe that will make a
> difference.
> regards
> brian

Forget the above, when I booted this morning all I got was :
Failed to boot both default and fall back entries
Couldn't read file - blah, blah blah
Kernel panic - not syncing - blah, blah, blah

got the grub prompt eventually but it would only allow me to type a single
character before giving the prompt again.
So bye bye Lucid, Maverick here I come
thanks all
brian