Stuck at the login screen

Homer fsunoles at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 20:40:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/1/10 Homer <fsunoles at gmail.com>:
>> Fresh install of Kubuntu 10.04 LTS.
>>
>> Machine is a microcomputer; an older version of this:
>> http://www.norhtec.com/products/mcjrmx/index.html
>>
>> I successfully ran 8.04 on this machine in the past.  10.04 installs
>> without a hitch, but I'm stuck at the login screen.  Entering a
>> username/password the login process starts, but about 2/3 of the way
>> through the screen goes blank, and when it comes back I am again at
>> the login in screen.
>>
>> Result is the same when choosing the failsafe option.
>>

> After a failed login, switch to a console, login and check your
> ~/xsession-errors and /var/log/Xorg.0.log for clues.

Thank you for the replies.  I have since tried/checked:

1.  Directories have plenty of space
2.  Deleted .kde
3.  Updated the OS
4.  Tried dpkg-reconfigure xorg-configure, but it didn't ask any questions
5.  sudo Xorg -configure, and put the created xorg.conf file in /etc/X11

- None of the that helped.  Still getting the same result.

On first boot I can switch to a console with Ctrl-Alt-F2.  If I
subsequently try and graphically login (which fails) and then open a
console session with Ctrl-Alt-F2, the console screen is garbage.

The .xsession-errors file has some information, but what it means I
don't know.  Only 85 lines, so I suppose it is not the end of the
world to copy it below.

------------------------------------

Xsession: X session started for tsi at Mon Jan 10 13:17:39 MST 2011
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to
/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
startkde: Starting up...
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kded4.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kbuildsycoca4.so
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kded(1250): "Error launching /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4. Either KLauncher
is not running anymore, or it failed to start the application."

kded(1249): Communication problem with  "kded" , it probably crashed.
Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Did not
receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did
not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." "

kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kcminit_startup.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kconf_update.so
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_ksmserver.so
<unknown program name>(1247)/ KStartupInfo::createNewStartupId:
creating:  "sxf-tsi;1294690697;322429;1247_TIME0" : "unnamed app"
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::accessibilityChanged(bool,
const QString) to DeviceAutomounter::deviceMountChanged(bool, const
QString)
kded(1250)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
kded(1250)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library
"/usr/lib/kde4/solid_hal_power.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance
function.
Invalid D-BUS member name 'idle-hint' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'is-local' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'x11-display-device' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'x11-display' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'display-device' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'remote-host-name' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'session-type' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'unix-user' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kglobalaccel.so
kglobalaccel(1338) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::loadSettings: Loading group  "kded"
kglobalaccel(1338) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::registerKey: Registering
key "Monitor Brightness Up" for "kded" : "Increase Screen Brightness"
kglobalaccel(1338) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::registerKey: Registering
key "Monitor Brightness Down" for "kded" : "Decrease Screen
Brightness"
QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner '' but we
thought it was ':1.7'
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kconf_update.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_plasma-desktop.so
kephald starting up
XRANDR error base:  164
RRInput mask is set!!
RandRScreen::loadSettings - adding mode:  123 800 x 600
RandRScreen::loadSettings - adding mode:  124 800 x 600
RandRScreen::loadSettings - adding mode:  125 640 x 480
RandRScreen::loadSettings - adding mode:  126 640 x 480
RandRScreen::loadSettings - adding crtc:  121
RandRScreen::loadSettings - adding output:  122
Setting CRTC 121 on output "default" (previous 0 )
CRTC outputs: (122)
Output name: "default"
Output refresh rate: 60
Output rect: QRect(0,0 800x600)
Output rotation: 1
XRandROutputs::init
  added output  122
adding an output 0 with geom:  QRect(0,0 800x600)
output: "SCREEN-0" QRect(0,0 800x600) 0 true false
load xml
connected: 1
looking for current "SCREEN-0"
known "*" has score: 0.125
screen: 0 QRect(0,0 800x600)
looking for a matching configuration...
connected: 1
looking for current "SCREEN-0"
known "*" has score: 0.125
found outputs, known: false
activate external configuration!!
registered the service: true
screens registered on the bus: true
outputs registered on the bus: true
configurations registered on the bus: true
kdeinit4: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit4: sending SIGHUP to children.
kded4: Fatal IO error: client killed
Qt-subapplication: Fatal IO error: client killed
kglobalaccel: Fatal IO error: client killed
kwin: Fatal IO error: client killed
klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
kdeinit4: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit4: sending SIGHUP to children.
KCrash: Application 'ksmserver' crashing...
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
KCrash cannot reach kdeinit, launching directly.
kdeinit4: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit4: Exit.