Install Win98 on /dev/sda4

Jerry Lapham rjlapham at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 22:32:27 UTC 2011

On Sunday, February 20, 2011 08:28:44 pm Reinhold Rumberger wrote:

> > > I'm pretty sure it can't be done easily. Win9x wants to be installed to
> > > sda1.  You can try to use grub to swap sda1 and sda4 (basically so that
> > > Win98 sees sda4 as sda1). However, that needs to be done for the
> > > install CD, too, and I don't know how to do that.
> >
> > Does the Win98 install CD use the existing partition table in the master
> > boot record?  Would it use the first entry there as Drive C?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If so,
> > swappng the bytes from the fourth entry and those from the first entry
> > ought to do it, correct?
>
> That seems pretty much like what I wrote. Or at least what I was trying to
> write... ;-)
>
>   --Reinhold

Well, the swap worked -- that is, Linux still boots and GParted now shows swap
as sda4 and my new FAT32 partition as sda1.

Unfortunately, the Windows installer still says DriveC isn't the right format.
I decided to take a chance and let it format DriveC assuming DriveC = sda1 and
it wouldn't touch my other partitions.

The installer says  there's a disk error and can't format DriveC.  I'm
guessing it doesn't like the fact that sda1 is sectors 411521040 thru
488392064.

Assuming this is correct, I'm thinking about swapping the partition table back
and then sacrificing my Mandriva 2008.1 partition on sda2 by combining it with
sda1 and creating a new swap.  I assume this wouldn't cause a problem with the
other Linux partition numbers since they are all logical.

Sound like it would work?

	-Jerry
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH  45050