External drives

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 21 01:12:59 UTC 2011

On 21/02/2011 09:24, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I have been told that a good idea for back-ups is to use an external
> hard drive. Do they all work with Kubuntu and does anyone have any
> helpful suggestions please? There are so many on the market it is very
> confusing.
>
> TIA
>
> Neil

Using an external for backups is a very good idea.

But when you are looking for a external make sure that you get one with
its own power supply; there are some USB externals which use the USB
itself for power from the computer which then overloads the computer's
power rail and in fact may not provide enough power to the drive to work
properly.

Also, (?)all, almost all, externals come formatted in FAT32. Which is
fine except that if you want to backup something from Linux which has
symlink(s) then FAT32 will not accept that symlink. Therefore you will
need to reformat the drive with with either ext3 or ext4.

BC

--
Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries.