Standard (KDE) key-bindings (Georgi Kourtev) (Michael Hirsch)

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 22:16:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Brian Wootton <Brian.Meg at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 09/02/11 12:00, kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

>> Re: Standard (KDE) key-bindings (Georgi Kourtev)
>> From:
>> Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com>
>> Date:
>> Tue, 8 Feb 2011 12:06:01 -0700
>>
>> To:
>> Kubuntu user technical support <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>

>> It would be nice if there were just one place to find this, but it
>> isn't quite that simple.
>>
>> System Settings ------>   Shortcuts and Gestures shows you three icons:
>> "Custom Shortcuts", "Standard Keyboard Shortcuts", and "Global
>> Keyboard Shortcuts".  The keybindings are distrubuted among these 3
>> things, each with several sub-categories just to make this more
>> difficult.
>>
>> If you don't see this, then you need to fix you systemsettings tool.
>>
>> Many of the settings are in the standard shortcuts which is also the
>> easiest to understand.  These are apparently the shortcuts that are
>> used by all KDE apps.  You can click on the "Shortcut" column to sort
>> by shortcut which helps find the one you want.
>>
>> Most of the bindings are in the global shortcuts.  Unfortunately,
>> these are broken up into different KDE components.  So, if I am
>> looking for, say, Control-F1, which is bound to "Switch to Desktop 1"
>> on my machine, I have to go through the different components before I
>> find it in the KWin settings.
>>
>> There is also "Custom Shortucts" that I've never had to deal with.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Sorry to be a dumb- bunny but I've again searched  System Settings ------>
> Shortcuts and Gestures
> and I can't find any of CTRL Fx or SHFT Fx mentioned anywhere in it.
>  I have Kubuntu 10.10 on an amd64 and have not touched  System Settings as
> installed from the
> downloaded .iso. I can't even find Kwin, I do have the 'Custom', 'Standard'
> and 'Global' icons but in none
> of them is there any mention of CTRL F(any) or SHFT F(any) or Kwin.
>
> Like I say the listings in
> 'http://www.krusader.org/handbook/key_bindings.html' at least reference them
> under 'General CTRL keys' even if it doesn't list them.
>  Is there a newer or different version of System settings, cos I don't think
> I can have the same one you
> are describing.

This feature has been around in systemsettings for a long time.  I
don't think it matters if you are using KDE 4.5.4 or 4.5.5.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, here is a
screenshot of systemsettings on my system.  See the part labeled "KDE
component:" and then the "KWin" label on the drop-down.  What
components do you have in that dropdown?

https://photos-1.dropbox.com/i/l/2pCUg9yQ9VJ-PmY0zmgXQqxhmtq2nRwJRjZ3xDiTgSo/11678370/1297378800/4f54d6c#1

On a semi-related note--your emails to the list always seem to break
gmail's threading.  Are you using the reply button, or doing something
unusual to create your replies?

Michael