My shop box has no users!

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Feb 3 20:53:07 UTC 2011

On Thursday, February 03, 2011 03:17:17 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:

> On Donnerstag 03 Februar 2011, 19:29:17, gene heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > I tried to synchronize my usernum between this machine, and the shop
> > machine, which amanda also backs up.  By modifying everything in /etc
> > to renumber the user gene from 1000 to 500 like it is here on this
> > pclos box. That did not gain me write perms in /home/gene on the shop
> > box, so I reverted everything.
> >
> > I can ssh into this machine as 'gene', using my usual passwd, but the
> > prompt is:
> > root at shop:/var# logout <-i did a ctrl+d
> > I have no name!@shop:~$ whoami
> > whoami: cannot find name for user ID 1000
> >
> > Yet I exist in both the original /etc/passwd, /etc/group as 1000:1000
>
> I've never used amanda (to complex for my little laptop), so I'm
> clueless about that, but could you check the permissions on these:
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1002 2011-01-20 12:21 /etc/group
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2,0K 2010-12-10 00:14 /etc/passwd
>
> I just reproduced the above problem by removing read permissions.
>
>   --Reinhold

A tip of this old farts blaze orange winter hunting cap to Reinhold, I
believe that was it as I found all the files that I had reverted by doing
the mv file- to file, to have no read perms for other than root.

Thank you very much.  However, in order to fix my ssh login, I logged out
and back in so I am now presented with a 'gene at shop' prompt.  But now I've
lost my entry in sudoers, damn.  That I assume is a reboot to level 1 fix
only?

The sudoers file looks like this now:
# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command after they have
# provided their password
# (Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move
# it further down)
%sudo ALL=(ALL) ALL
#
#includedir /etc/sudoers.d

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

IIRC that % sign means its a comment too?

I just waded through the snow and tried to get to the boot menu about 7 or
8 times, but it cannot be done with all the speedboot fixings.

So, how do we get a rescue mode with this now, or am I resigned to taking a
cd out there & seeing if I can recall how to edit the perms on the sudoers
file, which are 444 now and should be 440, so it will not use it, locking
me out.  I guess thats the next step anyway, back later.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)