Stuck at the login screen

Homer fsunoles at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 22:34:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:20 PM, James Tappin <sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:08:01 -0700
> Homer <fsunoles at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> H> The graphical login prompt would appear, and I could enter
> H> username/password.  It would then get about 2/3 of the way through
> H> the login process, then go blank, then return back to the login
> H> screen. Hence, I was "stuck" at the login screen.  I exited to a
> H> shell from the login screen (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and edited files that way.
> H> I didn't have a menu option at the login screen to go to a shell as
> H> was suggested.  I'm guessing that is a configurable option.
>
> I'm not sure if this has already been suggested. but /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> may have information about what's actually failing.

It might.  I have previously posted a good bit of log info, but that
didn't yield much response.  I started searching for strings I found
in log messages, and that is how I found the link I posted earlier
that pointed to a bug with the openchrome driver.

In the bug description I found the two workarounds I posted earlier.
I'm way more of a user than a programmer, so my effort pretty much
ended when I found a solution.  Though admittedly it is not a fix, I
wanted to follow-up on my original post with a work around in case
someone else finds himself with the same issue.