Why does KDE always reset my plasma workspace shortcuts?

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 18:00:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Waleed Hamra <kubuntu-users at whamra.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 01:31 AM, Michael Hirsch wrote:
>> In my IDE, Ctrl-Alt-V is the keystroke for "extract variable", a
>> command I use multiple times a day.  That is also the default shortcut
>> in KDE for the Plasma Workspace to open the systemtray-klipper menu.
>>
>> Fortunately, shortcuts in KDE are easy to turn off, once you know how.
>>  So I open systemsettings -> Shortcuts & Gestures -> Global Keyboard
>> Shortcuts, look through the components until I remember that it is
>> Plasma Workspace, then customize Systemtray-Klipper-10 to have no
>> shortcut.
>>
>> That works great, until the next time I start KDE.  Then I have to do
>> it all over again.
>>
>> I've not had this problem before.  I'm running KDE from the
>> PPA--currently on 4.5.5.
>>
>> Anyone know why this is happening, or how I can make it stop?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Michael
>>

> are you sure plasma is closing properly? if plasma crashes on
> logout/shutdown (which happened a lot in 4.5.5) most of the KDE settings
> get lost.

Really?  That's badly broken.  Configurations should be save when they
are confirmed or applied, not on exit.  Eclipse does this, too, which
is just wrong.  For at least some configuration options in Eclipse,
you might get them the way you like them, then work in eclipse for a
week.  When it crashes, your configs are lost and it was so long ago
you don't remember what they were.  :(

But to answer your question, I don't know that plasma is closing
properly.  I'm just shutting down with the standard KDE dialog.  I
tell it to restart the system.  It does.  I don't see any errors, but
I don't know that I would see an error if it isn't closing properly.

Thanks,

Michael