Stuck at the login screen

Homer fsunoles at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 21:38:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Homer <fsunoles at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Waleed Hamra <kubuntu-users at whamra.com> wrote:

>>> The result of these steps is the machine locks up.  It stops at the
>>> point a normal attempt would cycle back to the login screen.  Through
>>> switching terminals during subsequent attempts I was able to see the
>>> messages resulting from the startx command.  Nothing stood out to me.
>>> The final line was: "Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X
>>> server."  Is there a way to capture the startx messages?
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> to capture the message being thrown by the command, type this on the
>> command line:
>>
>> startx 1>/tmp/x.log 2>&1
>
> Of course.  Thank you for that reminder.  Below is the output from the
> startx command:
>
> X.Org X Server 1.7.6
> Release Date: 2010-03-17
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-28-server i686 Ubuntu
> Current Operating System: Linux sxf-tsi 2.6.32-27-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec
>  1 23:52:12 UTC 2010 i686
> Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-2.6.32-27-generic root=UUID=0f5485af-87
> 27-4c27-8ceb-588f873771f0 ro quiet splash
> Build Date: 10 November 2010  11:25:26AM
> xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.4 (For technical support please see http://www.ubun
> tu.com/support)
> Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
>        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
>        to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
>        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
>        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Jan 11 15:00:02 2011
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> (==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
> Fulfilled via DRI at 7683200
> Freed 7683200 (pool 2)
> The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
>> Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
>>                   Ignoring extra symbols
> Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
> X: main/renderbuffer.c:2067: _mesa_reference_renderbuffer: Assertion `oldRb->Mag
> ic == 0xaabbccdd' failed.
> xinit:  connection to X server lost.

I decided to get back after this today.  I did some searching and
found this link:

In there it was suggested to add to the xorg.conf file:
Section "ServerFlags"
     Option "AIGLX"  "off"
EndSection

or  set:
ShadowFB "True"

I tried the second suggestion and I was able to log in successfully.
There didn't seem to be a distinction between the two suggestions as
far as if one was better than the other.  Bottom line is there seems
to be a bug that was introduced between 8.04 and 10.04.