KDE 4.8 RC1

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 13:58:09 UTC 2011

On 31/12/11 14:32, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> Problems with beta and RC packaging are better communicated on the
> developers list so we know there is a problem.  The point of such
> packages is to get testing to find problems.
>
>> … There was a conflict with 'plasma-widget-kde-observatory' on installation which caused apt-get to bomb out, leaving it half installed. This took me 2 hours of swearing to fix and I still don't think it's quite right
>
> We don't have any package by that name.  We have a
> "plasma-widget-kdeobservatory" so either you made a typo above or you
> have a package from a non-Ubuntu source.
>
>> … It crashed when I first started it up because it had uninstalled the theme for the login dialog (which I hadn't changed from the default and which now seems not to exist anywhere)
>
> Upstream changed the default and we need to add an upgrade script for
> the config file to change it.  Ho hum.
>
>> … approach with caution. KDE is getting worse with every release.
>
> Have a good hogmanay
>
> Jonathan

Jonathan, I know beta is for testing. I did not in any way mean to
denigrate hard work of developers or packagers. My experience just made
me think "better tell others to make a very strong backup before they
try this out".

I can only test when things work reasonably well myself and RC1 does not
seem to. I don't even know if it is a bug that virtuoso-t now have taken
over from nepomukindexer as the CPU hog. And I do not mean to be
sarcastic or anything. Do I file with KDE or Kubuntu? Is it packaging or
a changed feature from 4.7 to 4.8?

I wanted to try, unfortunately I can not use it so have to back off.
Only wanted to tell other curious to make backup and backup first just
in case.

Respectfully,
Sinclair