KDE 4.8 RC1

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 13:19:29 UTC 2011

On 31 Dec 2011, at 12:32, Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> Problems with beta and RC packaging are better communicated on the
> developers list so we know there is a problem.  The point of such
> packages is to get testing to find problems.

With respect, I've logged a lot of bugs in the past, both on kde.org and launchpad. About 30% of them get looked at and about 5% get fixed. When I spend my time and effort to help debug things and then nobody responds it doesn't encourage me to do it again. I've also had some fairly arrogant and bad-tempered responses occasionally (not from Ubuntu devs) and I'm sorry to say that if that's the attitude, then they can go jump in a volKano.

This is why we're now seeing people complaining on email lists and forums instead of logging bugs. I got a response! I know somebody has read my email and I feel that I've actually contributed something now, as opposed to when I log a bug and it disappears into a black hole from which no communication can escape. I feel good about it now, instead of that 'why-do-I-bother' feeling I usually get. Thanks :)

>> … There was a conflict with 'plasma-widget-kde-observatory' on installation which caused apt-get to bomb out, leaving it half installed. This took me 2 hours of swearing to fix and I still don't think it's quite right
>
> We don't have any package by that name.  We have a
> "plasma-widget-kdeobservatory" so either you made a typo above or you
> have a package from a non-Ubuntu source.

Yes sorry I made a typo. plasma-widget-kdeobservatory. An updated package was trying to overwrite a file that also existed in that package, which caused apt-get to stop partway through the installation. I then had broken packages and could not uninstall the observatory package. I forget how I resolved it but it wasn't fun. :)

>> … It crashed when I first started it up because it had uninstalled the theme for the login dialog (which I hadn't changed from the default and which now seems not to exist anywhere)
>
> Upstream changed the default and we need to add an upgrade script for
> the config file to change it.  Ho hum.

I'm glad it's not just me.. the number of times they change something and break all my hard-done configuration…. it's exasperating. Is anybody actually "in charge" of KDE development or is it just the free form mess it appears to be?

>> … approach with caution. KDE is getting worse with every release.
>
> Have a good hogmanay

And to you.

Mark