Nepomuk

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 06:25:55 UTC 2011

On 17/12/11 14:32, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On 12/17/2011 11:48 AM, Mark Greenwood wrote:
>>
>> On 17 Dec 2011, at 05:50, O. Sinclair wrote:
>>
>>> This is, for starters, not a rant. I have little use for the whole
>>> concept of the semantic desktop but I do get the possible advantages
>>> of it. Once it works.
>>>
>>> At this moment however it seems lost. I open "find" in Dolpin and
>>> search for "current" as in "current state" or whatever and get x
>>> number of mp3 files and such that has nothing at all to do with
>>> current. Have no idea where Strigi and friends pick up "current" from
>>> Swedish band Kent and their songs from the album "Röd" (red).
>>
>> If you disable Strigi, the find functionality reverts to the way it
>> used to do it which, unsurprisingly, works.
>>

>>> The other main complaint: why the constant reindexing? I just found
>>> Nepomukindexer chewing 25% CPU indexing pdf files in a folder I have
>>> named "manuals". Where I have not changed or even OPENED a file for
>>> months. And that is despite the indexer claiming to be "done" now and
>>> then.
>>
>> This simply has to be a bug. It does it to me too. I have disabled
>> Strigi by simply disabling it in system settings and I haven't noticed
>> it doing anything unusual recently.
>>

>>> Can anyone please explain how it works and what is the main problem
>>> at the moment?
>>
>> It is *supposed* to allow you to search file names, contents, metadata
>> etc all from the same place - like a Mac does, only slower and less
>> reliably. However at the moment it appears to be a disjointed
>> hodgepodge of badly designed components that aren't finished and have
>> never been tested. It simply doesn't work and should never have been
>> included in a distribution release. This stuff ought to have been made
>> available through a 'testing' ppa while the main release was released
>> free from nepo-strigi-muk.
>>
>> I'd like to add that of course, new features always seem to breed a
>> lot of resentment, especially in the linux world - people don't seem
>> to like change. However this nepomuk/strigi thing is not one of those
>> times when people have a rant for a while and then get over it. This
>> is pure and simple bad software that doesn't work properly and really
>> screws up our systems for the things we do day to day. If there is
>> anyone in the KDE world leading this whole project, then they should
>> be thrown over a barrel and whipped with sticks.
>>
>> Mark
>>

>>> This is not "production ready" and I am not even making my dear wife
>>> a candidate to try this out, on her computer I switch off all desktop
>>> search functions.
>>>
>>> --
>>

> Once again: one can disable not only Strigi, but Nepomuk as well.
> Eventually by unticking it in Service Manager. No need for the whole
> Nepomuk / Akonadi / Soprano / Strigi rigmarole if you don't use KMail,
> KAddressbook etc.. By doing so you'll get a system that runs faster than
> a greased lightning.

Problem here being that I use and LIKE Kontact including the addressbook
etc. Sure, the 4.7 version has been a struggle but I now have most
things back to how they worked in earlier versions. But if I switch off
Strigi et al suddenly my addressbook is conked. Well not really but the
"auto fill in" function in KMail disappears.

I know that the Nepomuk developer is busy fixing bugs left right and
centre but the fixes do not seem to find their way to our distro at least.

And I am really starting to wish for a "kdepim pre 4.7" ppa.