enigmail does not find gpg-agent in kde

Andre Massing andre.massing at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 16 17:26:23 UTC 2011

On 12/16/2011 06:03 PM, Waleed Hamra wrote:
> On 16/12/11 16:48, Andre Massing wrote:
>>
>> Hi there!
>>
>> I have already asked for some advice at the ubuntu-user list a
>> week ago, so sorry for the cross-posting, but I haven't got any
>> reply yet.. So maybe it is a more kubuntu-specific. So the
>> problem is that I recently ran into the following problem after I
>> installed the kubuntu-desktop in addition to my Gnome desktop:
>>
>> After logging in into KDE thunderbird/enigmail complains "Could
>> not start the gpg-agent program which is needed for your GnuPG
>> 2.0.17"
>>
>> Checking my environments variables in Konsole reveals that the
>> GPG_AGENT_INFO variable was not set.
>>
>> Strangely everything works out of the box under gnome 3 +
>> thunderbird + enigmail with the same enigmail settings,
>> GPG_AGENT_INFO is set etc. (BTW, gpg executable is manually set
>> to gpgp2 in the enigmail preferences)
>>
>> After some googlging it seems that the gnome-key-ring is somehow
>> used to communicate with gpg-agent, and I remember I was asked
>> for a password once or twice during my first login into KDE (but
>> not any more).
>>
>> Is there maybe an issue with not starting some required services
>> from within the KDE session?
>>
>> Does anybody has any ideas or pointers where to start to
>> investigate and to nail down that problem? Or has anybody
>> experienced somehow similar problems? I could not find any bug
>> report or question related to that issue...
>>
>> And, of course, any help, pointers etc. are very much
>> appreciated!
>>
>> Cheers, Andre
>>

> gpg-agent should be started by X when it starts. you should have a
> file called:
>
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent
>
> look for it, and see if it exists, this file is part of the
> gnupg-agent package.

Yes, it exists and apt-file find /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent tells
me the file is part of the gnupg-agent package as expected.
Strangely, the gpg-agent starts i a gnome 3 session without any
problems, and  corresponding environment variables as GPG_AGENT_INFO
are set, not so in a KDE session. That is why I suspect that somehow
the start up procedure in KDE does not involve (correctly) the
gpg-agent..

> another thing, what is the default login screen? kdm or gdm?

I tried both and it failed in both.
Thanks for the help so far.. Are there any other places I could check ...?

- --
Andre