enigmail does not find gpg-agent in kde

Andre Massing andre.massing at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 17 11:48:35 UTC 2011

Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply!

[snip]

>>> gpg-agent should be started by X when it starts. you should
>>> have a file called:
>>
>>> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent
>>
>>> look for it, and see if it exists, this file is part of the
>>> gnupg-agent package.
>>
>> Yes, it exists and apt-file find /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent
>> tells me the file is part of the gnupg-agent package as
>> expected. Strangely, the gpg-agent starts i a gnome 3 session
>> without any problems, and  corresponding environment variables as
>> GPG_AGENT_INFO are set, not so in a KDE session. That is why I
>> suspect that somehow the start up procedure in KDE does not
>> involve (correctly) the gpg-agent..
>>

>>> another thing, what is the default login screen? kdm or gdm?
>>

>> I tried both and it failed in both. Thanks for the help so far..
>> Are there any other places I could check ...?
>>

> maybe its just an environment variable issue. is gpg-agent
> running? check with:
>
> ps -A | grep gpg-agent

I  checked that and it turned out that the gpg-agent is not running
when I log into my KDE session.

I also did a pristine installation of kubuntu 11.10 on a VM,
installing all updates and thunderbird in combination with enigmail
and I get the same problem: no gpg-agent running. That is kind of
strange, I guess there quite some people out there using KDE/kubuntu +
Thunderbird and gpg... And in addition thunderbird did not even
recognize that enigmail is installed, manifesting in a missing openpgp
menu..
ATM I am rather clueless where to start, especially since it does not
seem to be a prominent problem according to my google searches.

But as always any hints and pointers are highly appreciated... And
probably I should file a bug report if I haven't overlooked something
rather obvious.

- --
Andre