Nepomukindexer

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 19:36:16 UTC 2011

On 12 Dec 2011, at 19:22, Jonas Norlander wrote:

> 2011/12/12 uteck <theuteck at gmail.com>:
>> KDE gets so close to being awesome, but things like nepomuk just drag
>> it down into a nigh gnomish nightmare.
>> Once I disabled it from running my system became usable again.
>>

> Sebastian Trüg has done a lot of work in Nepomuk recently and many
> high CPU bugs has been fixed. I don't know which version of KDE but
> some are in 4.7.*. So it's getting better. You can read his blog for
> more info http://trueg.wordpress.com/

That's great and I'm glad somebody is looking at it, but from my point of view this is KDE 4.7.. the important part of that is SEVEN… we're coming up to what, 2 years and 7 major releases since KDE 4.0 and this stuff still doesn't work. Why is it even in there at all?

Whoever's behind KDE needs to take a big deep breath and realise that people try to use their software as a part of their lives. Including components which aren't finished and don't work and are a nightmare to configure (akonadi has been this way since its first release) gives KDE 4 a VERY bad reputation. I still think the idea behind nepomuk and strigi is a good one, but the implementation of it is nowhere near ready for everyday use. It's annoying a lot of people and making many switch away from KDE. Perhaps they don't care, but I do.

Mark