Adding home folder/trash can to desktop + plea for simplicity

Neil Winchurst barnaby at drofle.co.uk
Sun Dec 11 21:33:48 UTC 2011

On 11/12/11 13:10, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> On 11/12/11 10:17, Nils Kassube wrote:
>>> It is already available in version 4.4.5 (Lucid) and maybe earlier.
>>> However you need the option "Different widgets for each desktop"
>>> enabled (even in 12.04).
>
>> As I understand it this just means that I can have different icons on
>> each desktop, not different backgrounds. Or am I wrong about that?
>
> Yes. With "Different widgets for each desktop" enabled you can change
> the backgrounds for the desktops individually.  If I understand it
> correctly, icons and backgrounds are handled the same way in KDE4.
> Therefore if you disable "Different widgets for each desktop", you don't
> get different backgrounds either. Of course that doesn't make much sense
> to a "normal" user like you and me who isn't familiar with the inner
> working of KDE4. :)

OK. I have now found it, but it is no use to me. When I enabled it I
expected the icons already set up to remain, like in KDE3, but they all
disappeared. This would mean having to recreate all my icons on each
desktop. Whose bright idea was that?

As I have already said previously, why couldn't the developers leave
things as they were? For me at least I consider the background for a
desktop and the icons on it to be separate entities. When I add a new
icon it doesn't affect the background. I expect the opposite to be the
case too.

I give up,

Neil