[SOLVED] Re: AMD A4-Series APU A4-3400 compatibility

Jim Cunning jcunning at cunning.ods.org
Sun Dec 11 00:09:24 UTC 2011

On 12/09/2011 10:34 PM, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 10/12/11 05:45, Mark Greenwood wrote:
>> The ATI proprietary driver is called 'fglrx':
>>
>> [   128.967] (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
>> [   128.968] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fglrx
>> [   128.968] (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
>> [   128.969] (II) Unloading fglrx
>> [   128.969] (EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module does not
>> exist, 0)
>>
>> Your Xorg.log shows that the 'fglrx' driver doesn't exist - it hasn't
>> been installed correctly. X tries to load it and fails so falls back to
>> trying various other drivers (I think it ends up trying the radeon
>> driver or framebuffer mode, I'm no expert in these things), but none of
>> these drivers can handle it. So we need to get it installed properly.
>> Unless you know how to install it from the command line (which I don't)
>> then this means using the Additional Drivers tool.. but that needs X, so
>> we need to get you into X.
>>
>> It's possible that 'nomodeset' may be confusing the various drivers. So
>> we need to see if we can get you into X without using that option. If I
>> take it as read that you can't just boot into X without using nomodeset,
>> then this means bypassing the ****** plymouth splash screen.
>> edit /etc/default/grub: Comment out (with a hash) the line that starts
>> with 'GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT'. Uncomment the line GRUB_TIMEOUT and set a
>> value, e.g. GRUB_TIMEOUT=10.
>> Now run sudo update-grub, and reboot.
>> When you do this you should see the grub menu at boot. This will allow
>> you to select 'recovery mode'. Do this and then just select 'Continue
>> normal boot'. This bypasses the plymouth splash screen.
>> Try this with or without nomodeset - one way might get you into X from
>> where you can install the ATI driver. Once done you'll again need to see
>> whether you now need nomodeset to get the system to boot properly.
>>
>> The other way to bypass the splash is just to prevent plymouth ever
>> using a splash screen - I haven't tried this myself but in
>> /etc/default/grub you'll see the options 'quiet splash' on
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT. You can remove these options, run sudo
>> update-grub again and reboot and you'll get a good old-fashioned very
>> messy looking linux boot up :)
>>
>> I went through all this on a recent NVIDIA system install, so I'll try
>> to help all I can.
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> On 9 Dec 2011, at 23:25, Jim Cunning wrote:
>>
>>> Top-posted, see bottom

>>> There is no "recovery mode" available from grub on the install CD/USB
>>> stick, no "nomodeset" was my only option, and it worked. I installed
>>> 11.10, but somehow Windows 7 screwed up the HDD grub, and I had to
>>> re-install grub from the live CD. OK, so far.
>>>
>>> Now the system (11.10) will boot as long as I put in "nomodeset", but X
>>> fails to start and I have only virtual consoles available. I downloaded
>>> the AMD ATI proprietary driver, which had successfully installed on
>>> 10.04 LTS, but it aborts when started from a virtual console.

> [...]
I did figure out that fglrx was not installed, so I let the system boot
to a virtual console, then entered

    sudo apt-get install fglrx

and rebooted after the install, still using "nomodeset", and got a good
KDE login screen and normal login.  I then ran the AMD ATI driver
install and rebooted again.  Now the system boots normally and comes up
with a splash screen and KDE login without "nomodeset"

Thanks to all who responded with advice.

Jim Cunning