AMD A4-Series APU A4-3400 compatibility

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 13:57:18 UTC 2011

Plymouth is part of the boot-up sequence. Since Ubuntu became obsessed with boot-up speed, they switched away from the 'traditional' rc.d/init.d way of starting things on boot and began using upstart. I think plymouth is required because of this. The problem is caused by the way it displays its splash screen, hence if you boot into recovery mode and then just select 'continue normal boot' you avoid the splash screen and therefore avoid the problem. This isn't possible when you're installing from the graphical installer, so you need to add 'nomodeset' to the kernel command line.

It could be argued that the problem is not plymouth directly, but rather the way some graphics cards work, or the way the kernel handles graphics mode setting. But since the cards that tend to give problems are ATI and NVIDIA, and these account for a large share of the market, it would seem sensible to make plymouth work in those cases and not regard them as 'problems that the manufacturers should fix'.

On my NVIDIA systems, one works OK but the other has this issue - it can also depend on your monitor, something to do with the EDID. Once I'd got Kubuntu installed, I installed the NVIDIA proprietary driver. This forces plymouth to use a framebuffer for its splash screen, and this makes the problem go away. If this doesn't work for you then you'll need to add 'nomodeset' to the grub command line.

Mark