Unable to start ConsoleKit session

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 12:14:09 UTC 2011

This is on Kubuntu Natty with all the updates from the Kubuntu PPAs (KDE 4.7.2)

After logging in the desktop pauses for a long time and then I get a dialog that says:

Warning: Cannot open ConsoleKit Session Unable to open session: Activation of org.FreeDesktop.consolekit timed out.

It's only started happening recently and I'm not sure what changed, if anything. It doesn't do it every time, probably about 70% of the time. If I get this message then I can't do important things like mount external disks so I have to reboot (logging out and logging back in seems to cure the ConsoleKit problem but then KDE doesn't redraw windows properly, which is probably an NVIDIA driver bug so I'm not worrying about that at the moment).

From Googling around it seems this is some kind of race condition. Anyone else seen this and know of a workaround?

Mark