Ubuntu Friendly programme and Kubuntu

Daniel Manrique daniel.manrique at canonical.com
Thu Dec 1 22:59:44 UTC 2011

On 11-12-01 10:43 AM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Alvin <info at alvin.be> wrote:
>> On Thursday 01 December 2011 08:41:50 Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
>>> [. ..]
>>> The package is checkbox-gtk , and the program's name (to find using
>>> Kickoff) would be "System Testing"... but yes, you are right: the
>>> instructions on the site are clearly aimed at Unity users.
>>
>> Well, I got it to run, but it's about as stable as the current kdepim.
>
> well... kdepim is a little less stable.

I'll take this as a compliment for checkbox :)

>> During the first audio test, I didn't hear any audio and something crashed.
>> Apport was able to file https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/898641
>> After that, the test suite crashed itself. Apport was unable to report that
>> problem: "Cannot connect to crash database".
>>
>> Actually I don't worry too much about hardware compatibility. It deals mostly
>> with the kernel and compatibility will very similar to Ubuntu. If I were to
>> choose between guaranteed working audio, fancy 3D effects or a stable kdepim,
>> I'd choose the stable kdepim :-) We haven't had a proper default mail client
>> since the days of KDE3. This is personal of course. I don't pretend to speak
>> for the Kubuntu users community.
>
> +1 here, I want to get out of thunderbird... but kdepim is not working
> properly... yet.
>
> Anyway, I had better luck with the checkbox app, but it didn't
> detected when I inserted the usb storage device, even though KDE saw
> it, and I was able to use it.  However, USB plug test was successful,
> so, maybe it depends on something from Unity to tell if the USB
> storage was inserted.

Thanks for running the tests!

I'm curious about the test where it failed to detect when you inserted the usb
storage device. Could you tell me which one it was?

I know there's one of the tests where, if you plug in the device and
*immediately* press Test, it fails, because the drive still hasn't settled/isn't
mounted. You can press "test again" and see if it works this time, or, better
yet, let me know which test it was so we can fix it :)

Thanks for taking the time to report this back to me, I really appreciate it.

Regards,
- Daniel