Ubuntu Friendly programme and Kubuntu

Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa ildefonso.camargo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 15:43:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Alvin <info at alvin.be> wrote:
> On Thursday 01 December 2011 08:41:50 Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
>> [. ..]
>> The package is checkbox-gtk , and the program's name (to find using
>> Kickoff) would be "System Testing"... but yes, you are right: the
>> instructions on the site are clearly aimed at Unity users.
>
> Well, I got it to run, but it's about as stable as the current kdepim.

well... kdepim is a little less stable.

> During the first audio test, I didn't hear any audio and something crashed.
> Apport was able to file https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/898641
> After that, the test suite crashed itself. Apport was unable to report that
> problem: "Cannot connect to crash database".
>
> Actually I don't worry too much about hardware compatibility. It deals mostly
> with the kernel and compatibility will very similar to Ubuntu. If I were to
> choose between guaranteed working audio, fancy 3D effects or a stable kdepim,
> I'd choose the stable kdepim :-) We haven't had a proper default mail client
> since the days of KDE3. This is personal of course. I don't pretend to speak
> for the Kubuntu users community.

+1 here, I want to get out of thunderbird... but kdepim is not working
properly... yet.

Anyway, I had better luck with the checkbox app, but it didn't
detected when I inserted the usb storage device, even though KDE saw
it, and I was able to use it.  However, USB plug test was successful,
so, maybe it depends on something from Unity to tell if the USB
storage was inserted.

Ildefonso.