installation prbl, can't install grub, 64bit thinkpad X121e

Uwe Brauer oub at mat.ucm.es
Wed Aug 31 16:51:51 UTC 2011

Hello

This is a very bizarre problem.

    -  I installed on a brand new X121e (without an OS)
       Kubuntu 10.04.

    -  I inserted an additional 4 giga RAM.

    -  I installed windows 7, which made a strange partition
       of the hard disk:
       /dev/sda1 fat32 small
       /dev/sda2 fat32 small
       /dev/sda3 ntfs big windows 7 installation and of
       course deleted me previous linux installation. Most
       likely Bios was then in efi mode.

    - I tried to install Kubuntu 11.04 (either 64 or 32 bit)
      in all cases everything went smooth. Grub however was
      to be installed per default not in the MBR but in
      /dev/sda
      and exactly at the end of the installation I obtained
      the error message
      grub cannot be installed in /dev/sda this is a serious
      error.

    -  so I repeated the installation selecting /dev/sda4
       where linux is going to live as a target but I
       obtained at the end of the installation process the
       same error message.

I never encountered anything like this.
Does anybody have an advice?

thanks