Need a network wizard

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Aug 17 09:48:29 UTC 2011

While I'm not a network wizzard, I'll try to help anyway :)

gene heskett wrote:
> I have a home network that is all behind a NATing router, in this
> case a netgear WNR2000V3, hooked to a cable modem at its WAN port,
> and one of its LAN ports is plugged into an 8 port switch.

> 200 feet of cat5 away, is a small Linksys 4 port workgroup 10/100
> hub, with at least 2 more machines

> But I need to replace this 4 port + uplink 'hub', with something that
> looks like a hub, but also contains an access point, so my laptop
> can be used without stringing another 25 feet of cat5 around to trip
> over.
>
> So I bought another netgear WGR614V10 and hauled it to this 'shop'
> building.  More or less out of the box, and with the cable from this
> house switch plugged into the WAN port, and the netgear WNR2000V3
> gave it an address on the local network exactly as the netgear
> WNR2000V3 is set to do.

> That in turn, because the WGR614V10 still had its dhcp server
> enabled, gave the laptops cat5 connection an address in its default
> 192.168.1.X mapping

> But, because the cable coming from this machine via the local 8 port,
> was hitting the WAN port, everything behind that WAN port is
> invisible to me

> Now to show how little I actually know, I reasoned that this
> WGR614V10 really should function as a hub with a radio if I plugged
> my cable into a LAN port, and changed its LAN IP to this network by
> giving it an address on my local net. It would then function as a
> hub just like the hub I'd been using, but with a radio too.
>
> And that is the roadblock.  Regardless of what I set the "to be
> unused" WAN ports address to, trying to apply my local network
> address to the LAN port is refused as it clashes with the WAN port.

There are certainly several ways to achieve your wanted goal of
connecting from each machine to all the other machines.

I don't know if it is possible with the WGR614V10 to use it as a real
router (i.e. disable NAT), because the setup manual I found doesn't tell
anything useful. I think that option should be a part of the WAN setup.
If that is possible, leave everything connected as it is (WGR614V10 WAN
port -> WNR2000V3). You could disable the firewall on the WGR614V10 and
tell the WNR2000V3 about a static route to the new 192.168.1.x network
via the WGR614V10 WAN address. And to be sure that the WAN address
doesn't change, you should make it a static entry.

OTOH, your idea of using only the LAN side of the WGR614V10 isn't too
bad either. Then you only have a single address range for the entire
LAN. I don't know the Netgear stuff, but maybe you should first
disconnect the WAN port, then set the WAN port to a static address
outside your LAN (e.g. 10.10.10.10). Then reboot the router and setup
the LAN address to something within your current LAN but _not_ the same
address as your WNR2000V3. Then again reboot the router and disable
DHCP. Granted, rebooting shouldn't be necessary, but if it doesn't like
changing the LAN address range to the wanted range (like you wrote), it
may help. If that worked, connect the rest of your LAN to one of the LAN
ports of the WGR614V10. DHCP is then served by your WNR2000V3 and it
should also work for the WLAN part. At least that's how it worked here
with three different routers from different manufacturers.

Nils