Launchpad insanity runs rampant

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Aug 12 15:16:52 UTC 2011

On Friday, August 12, 2011 11:04:11 AM Nils Kassube did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> > Does that look normal?  Not according to the ntpq docs, the 16 is a
> > zero & means not usable.  Therefore my router isn't 'serving', and I
> > can't find a place in its gui to enable the broadcast at x.x.x.255.
>
> If dd-wrt is similar to openwrt, you should install the package ntpd
> instead of ntp-client. Then it would automatically work as ntp server
> for the LAN.

Unforch, the dd-wrt is a complete, busybox based, nominally 11 megabyte
download that you write to a CF, put the CF in an IDE adapter, and simply
boot it.  And while it has stood the test of time in turning away the
attackers, it is also approaching 4 years old since its last update.

I may yet see about openwrt, if it has an x86 compat build available.

However, it appears I have this machine 'serving', an ntpq -p now shows:
 root at shop:/var/log/ntpstats# ntpq -p
jitter
 router.coyote.d .INIT.          16 u    -  512    0    0.000    0.000
0.000
*europium.canoni 193.79.237.14    2 u   76  128  377  108.244   -1.016
1.676
+coyote.coyote.d 169.229.70.95    3 u   10  128  377    0.153    2.510
0.479

But the IP it shows above for this machine, the last entry above, is not
this machines IP!  Methinks there may be a bug in that.  But we'll see what
the long term effect is.

Thanks & Cheers Nils, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I'm starting to think the gene pool could use a little chlorine.