Launchpad insanity runs rampant

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Aug 12 09:27:20 UTC 2011

gene heskett wrote:
> On Friday, August 12, 2011 04:20:45 AM Nils Kassube did opine:
> > gene heskett wrote:
> > > Just one comment: It says it is starting the NTP SERVER...  Here
> > > I always thought ntpd was a client...  Picky picky. :)
> >
> > Well, ntpd is client _and_ server.
>
> With precious little docs on how to go about setting it up as a
> server, the net result being that every machine on my local network
> is pestering pool.ntp.org, whereas it should be only the router,
> dd-wrt on a stripped x86 box, and the machines on my local net
> should be using the router.  Is it really as simple as pointing the
> individual machines ntpd's at the router's local address via either
> IP or hostname in the /etc/hosts file?

There is a package "ntp-doc" which includes the file
"/usr/share/doc/ntp-doc/html/ntpd.html". It is quite simple to change
the ntpd behaviour, though. In /etc/ntp.conf you have several lines
starting with "server". Those are the servers that ntpd uses. You can
simply delete them all and insert a single line

server 192.168.1.1

where 192.168.1.1 would be the address of your router. Of course you
might as well use the hostname.

Nils