Nepomuk/Strigi trouble

Waleed Hamra kubuntu-users at whamra.com
Sun Aug 7 12:03:30 UTC 2011

i have never used nepomuk and strigi before. i upgraded to KDE 4.7
yesterday, and decided to give them a try.
first off, strigi never autostarts when i login to the system. i have
both checkboxes ticked, the "enable nepomuk semantic desktop" and
"enable strigi desktop file indexer", yet it doesn't start.
if i go to a console session and start strigi by "nepomukservicestub
nepomukstrigiservice &", it starts working, the system tray icon
indicates that as well, but i see a lot of error messages regarding
d-bus (http://pastebin.com/2WvSebeH).

if i let akonadi perform a test on itself, it reports
>>The Nepomuk search service is not registered at D-Bus which
>>typically means it was not started or encountered a fatal error
>>during startup.

also, in the nepomuk configuration, if i go to the backup tab, and try
to perform a manual backup, it says that the nepomuk backup service is
not running... a service that got me scratching my head looking for.

i deleted the nepomuk directory in ~/.kde/share/nepomuk, but that didn't
seem to improve any of the issues, and while strigi did index some files
that i spotted in the system tray icon, i tried deliberately searching
for some of these files, through krunner, but it showed nothing...

has anyone gotten nepomuk and strigi working? anyone has experience with
them? or are they still barely usable and not worth trying them yet?

thanks in advance.

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems