Opening http links in Firefox

Isak Enström isak.enstrom at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 18:19:45 UTC 2011

On 01/08/11 19:37, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> On 08/01/2011 08:05 PM, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> I just downloaded and 'installed' Firefox 5 from the Firefox website.
>> I 'installed' it into my home directory: ~/firefox_5 and to run it I
>> use the command:
>> ~/firefox_5/firefox
>> I have even edited the main 'kicker' menu to reflect my new Firefox
>> and it respects it - which is
>> more than I can say for Thunderbird (about:config) and 'System
>> Settings' > 'Default Applications'
>> > 'Web Browser'.
>>
>> So how can I get Thunderbird and the 'gmail plasmoid' to open my nice
>> new Firefox 5 instead of
>> the system installed Firefox 3.6x?
>>
>> Any help much appreciated,
>>
>> Nigel
>>

> OK, I managed to get the gmail plasmoid to use firefox 5 (it was staring
> me in the face - bottom of the settings page of the actual plasmoid) but
> am still stumped with getting Thunderbird to use it....
>
> Nigel

You probably need to open the config editor from within Thunderbird and
change the strings 'network.protocol-handler.app.http' and
'network.protocol-handler.app.https' to where your Firefox is installed.

Personally I would have created a folder called 'bin' inside my home
directory and then made a symlink from ~/firefox_5/firefox to
~/bin/firefox.

Next I would have copied the Firefox.desktop file from
'/usr/share/applications' to '~/.local/share/applications and then
opened it with Kate and changed the 'Exec' line to '~/bin/firefox'

That way the system would use your Firefox unless the absolute path
'/usr/bin/firefox' was used.

--
Isak

~~~~~