is 64 bit ready for primetime yet?

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 22:59:06 UTC 2011

Em terça-feira 05 abril 2011, Errol Sapir escreveu:
> On 04/04/2011 05:10 PM, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> > 2011/4/2 Paul Lemmons <paul at lemmons.name
> > <mailto:paul at lemmons.name>>
> >
> >     When Natty comes out I am planning on doing a clean install. My
> >     first on this particular machine since Feisty. I am considering
> >     the 64 bit version. The machine has more than 4GB of ram so I
> >     have been successfully running the pae version without any
> >     real hiccups.  It has been a long time since I considered
> >     "real" 64 bit and was wondering has it matured to the point
> >     where it is as smooth, application and stability wise, as the
> >     32 bit version? In particular: Firefox? Flash? Java? VMWare
> >     Workstation?
> >
> > I consider the 64 bit version quite stable. About the specific
> > applications you mentioned:
> > Firefox - as stable as its plugins allow it to be. If a plugin
> > crashes, all browser windows crash, but it's the same in the 32 bit
> > version (at least for now. Firefox 4 is supposed to change this,
> > but I didn't test it yet).
> > Flash - unstable. But the 32 bit version is not very stable either.
> > Java - very stable
> > VMWare Workstation - I don't use it, but I use Virtualbox and it is
> > very stable.
> >
> > In my opinion, flash is the most unstable software among those I
> > use in the 64 bit version. And, because of it, Firefox may become
> > unstable too. However, without flash installed, Firefox is
> > reasonably stable. All other applications I use are very stable in
> > the 64 bit version.
> >
> > []'s
> > Marcelo
>
> Is having more than 4 giga ram the only or main reason to use the 64
> bit installation? Are there any advantages to using the 64 bit with
> less than 4 giga. I have a 64 bit machine but less than 4 giga ram.
> Should I change to 64 bit Kubuntu?
>
> Errol

Applications that do intensive calculations can benefit from a 64 bits
architecture too. On the other hand, 64 bits softwares generally use
more memory than their 32 bits counterparts. If you don't have more than
4 Gb and do not run software that do intensive calculation, maybe it's
better to stay with the 32 bits version.
Either way, for most applications a regular user runs, you probably
won't notice any difference.

[]'s
Marcelo