is 64 bit ready for primetime yet?

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Tue Apr 5 17:40:47 UTC 2011

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: is 64 bit ready for primetime yet?
From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>
To: Kubuntu user technical support <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Cc: Paul Lemmons <paul at lemmons.name>
Date: 04/05/2011 02:54 AM

> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 23:27, Paul Lemmons<paul at lemmons.name>  wrote:
>> To try things out I installed Kubuntu-64 natty beta1 in a VM. It looks fine.
>> The only gotcha so far is that I can't find sun-java6. It does not appear in
>> any of the repositories. I might be able to live without stable flash but I
>> really need sun-java for some of the apps I have to use. Does anybody know
>> if this is coming to the repo's or if there is a PPA for it?
>>

> You cannot test for hardware incompatibilities in a virtual machine.
> If you want to know if 64 bit Flash will give problems on your
> hardware, then install it on the hardware, not in a VM.

I agree. I am testing various other programs in the VM; specifically
java apps. I use Kubuntu as my only desktop where I work and there are a
number of java based systems management programs that I can verify in a
VM. So far the important ones work without any problems(IBM HMC, EMC
Navisphere, EMC RecoverPoint). The ones that don't work, suffer
similarly under the 32bit distro (Kronos, Avocent DSView). Java appears
to be mox-nix.

I will verify the hardware with a live DVD before I do a clean install.