Graphics configuration to configure a static address for my wired connection

Christophe Guilbert cguilbert at picasso.ucsf.edu
Thu Sep 30 20:12:01 UTC 2010

One of the first things I do after installing a distro is give the
network a static address (to fit nicely in my network). When starting
the Knetwork configuration manager I was looking for my wired connection
– and it just was not there! Using the graphics configuration to
configure a static address for my wired connection is simply impossible.
Googling this issues shows that the bug has been addressed but never
corrected. I could not see any alternative to setup a static IP in the
kubuntu documentation

Sure I can use a terminal and change the setting by myself. To tell you
the truth it could just turn away people from using KDE.
This is a basic thing you should be able to do without googling it, like
we use to do under KDE3.
I spent more than 10 years with KDE, I did convert more than 20 people
to use linux/kde as their only OS. I am really thinking of moving to a
different desktop now.
KDE4 is just a beautiful (if not the most beautiful desktop out there),
but for me , functionality prime over beauty . it is totally useless if
you constantly need to google to do things that are as basic as setting
a static IP address. why this problem has not been corrected since
kubuntu 10.04 came out ?

Maybe I miss something here , do you know how to do it under knetwork
(which is the network manager installed by default)

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Christophe Guilbert, Ph.D.
Mission Bay Genentech Hall
UCSF, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
600 16th Street, Suite # S-126-D
Genentech Hall, MC 2280 San Francisco, CA  94158-2517
Office      : 415-476-0707
Office fax  : 415-476-0688
Email: cguilbert at picasso.ucsf.edu
http://mondale.ucsf.edu